Wednesday, April 28, 2010

shoulder pad influence

You cannot ignore the fact that shoulder pads are in for 2010, they are all over the runway.  I fell in love with this trend from the moment I betook a Balmain blazer with such shoulder pads.  I love beautiful construction and whimsical design.  Fashion has always been 'dressing up' to me, while determining what character I get to play each day.  I think there are a lot of influences that cause me to love these shoulders: Elizabethan times (think Emma/Pride & Prejudice films), the Disney princess characters' dresses, Michael Jackson--Thriller, and Sci Fi/aliens--think futuristic space suits.  So these shoulders are basically irresistible to me!  


An obvious throw back to the 1980's, though the reinvention and resurgence of the shoulder pads of 2010 are done quite differently.  I prefer minimalism when it comes to the rest of the ensemble, in order to emphasize and highlight the statement the shoulder pads are making.  


Take notice of the minimal/natural make-up paired with the 2010 shoulder-pads verses the big hair, big pants, and bright make-up of the 1980's--cringing at the thought of blue eye shadow.  Fashion in the 80's was all about being BIG, contemporary fashion (that I love) is about a look, a focus--please bear with me as I generalize here, but it's to make my point. ;) 


Today's Inspiration:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Creative Commons License
Un-Daily Thoughts: By Lauren by Lauren Hanson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.